The Salvatore Ferragamo Emblem
Vogue home established in Florence by Salvatore Ferragamo (initially from Avellino) in 1927. In 1914 he moved to Boston within the USA, carrying his passion for footwear and the great crafting expertise. In the early twenties he strikes to Santa Barbara, California, the place he opens a store for shoes fixing. California was, in these years, the great wonderland where the movie industry was beginning to flourish; this translated in a high request of customized made sneakers, which of course meant that Salvatore Ferragamo became the “shoemaker of the stars”. As a result of high manufacturing prices and the lack of capable craftsmen, in 1927 Ferragamo goes back to Italy and establishes the “Ferragamo Shoe manufacturing unit”; in a photograph of the time, the well-known typographic logotype appeared already. In 1938, resulting from a growth in production, Ferragamo acquires the Palazzo Spini Feroni in Florence as headquarters of his workplaces. Within the early fifties, to have fun his first parade in Florence, the tag-logo was slightly restyled: the black-white contrast is lightened and the name of the vogue designer appears too. In 1958 the “hook” appears for the first time on one of the purses: despite the fact that it’s not and by no means will be the official logo of the model, it is still very recognizable, as a consequence of its presence on many of the products; legend has it that Ferragamo was inspired by the gate of Palazzo Spini Feroni. In 1960, after the death of the founder, the logotype together with his Leonardo signature seems. The company was left within the arms of his spouse and his six children who, once they turned eligible, coated key roles in the administration of the company, also contributing to its expansion. In 1982 a new restyling simplifies the founder’s signature; the first letter “F” was used as inspiration for some decorated cloths and as identify for a perfume.